Loading... Please wait...

Cruden with the late, late show winner

Posted by

Chiefs V Brumbies Match Report & Highlights


Chiefs get out of jail with final minute penalty

Venue: Yarrow Stadium, New Plymouth
Chiefs 19 - 17 Brumbies
Half-time: 13 - 11
Tries: Ngatai
Cons: Cruden
Pens: Cruden 4
Tries: Vaea
Pens: Leali'ifano 3, White

Desperate Rob Coleman tackle knocks the ball out of Maama Vaipulu of the Chiefs as he dives over the tryline, Chiefs v Brumbies, Super Rugby, New Plymouth, New Zealand, February 20, 2015

Rob Coleman desperate effort saves a try

Matches: Chiefs 19 - 17 Brumbies

The Chiefs have stolen the win over the Brumbies after Aaron Cruden slotted a pressure-cooker last minute penalty 15-metres in from touch for a two-point 19-17 win - denying the Brumbies their first away win against the Chiefs since 2007.

A close game the whole way, both sides tussled for the lead with the Chiefs taking the lead into the second half, and the Brumbies taking the lead until the final minute, but ill-discipline in the final minute cost the Brumbies.

Hit with hurdles before the match with the loss of Sonny Bill Williams and Sam Cane, and then again seven minutes into the match with Cane's replacement - Tevita Koloamatangi - leaving the field with an ankle injury, the Chiefs came out firing, with outside centre replacement Seta Tamanivalu finding his stride early and making easy metres, but it was the Brumbies who got the ball rolling with Christian Leali'ifano converting an early penalty.

Both sides traded penalties in the opening minutes, with the Chiefs trailing 6-3 before five-eighth Charlie Ngatai found the gap and slipped through to dive over the chalk for the first try of the match. With the Brumbies' kick and chase a little sluggish, the Chiefs shifted the ball wide and quick hands allowed second Ngatai the space to punch through and touch down.

Cruden nailed the extras to give the Chiefs a 10-6 lead only for the Brumbies to hit back almost immediately, prop Scott Sio in the middle of a maul which bulldozed across for the try.

The Chiefs had a gold-plated chance to regain the lead barely a minute later, but No.8 Maama Vaipulu spilled the ball over the line, and it took a Cruden penalty at 31 minutes to give the home team a 13-11 lead at the break.

The Chiefs brought on their heavy hitters for the restart, All Blacks lock Brodie Retallick joining props Ben Tameifuna and Pauliasi Manu on the park. Their presence boosted the solid defence and bruising work at the breakdown which had kept the Chiefs in front for the first 40.

But the Chiefs' tendency to concede too many penalties proved costly, and Leali'ifano grabbed the lead back with a penalty three minutes into the second half. He extended the margin with another penalty to give the Brumbies a 17-13 lead as the hour mark neared, the Chiefs' handling under pressure still proving erratic.

A 68th minute Cruden penalty cut the deficit to one with 13 minutes remaining, and although the Brumbies defence held right until the closing minute, a scrum penalty gave Cruden an unmissable chance to win the match.


comments powered by Disqus


Sign up to our newsletter